Van Dyke Law, LLC’s Connecticut and Massachusetts wrongful death lawyer has handled numerous matters involving the wrongful loss of life and the remedies a survivor may recover as a result.
Accidents happen each day throughout Connecticut and Massachusetts, many which lead to terrible injuries or even death. If you have lost a loved one due to a terrible accident, you are entitled to compensation for your loss. While nothing will bring back your loved one, you can begin the process of moving on after a claim is processed and someone has been found responsible for your loved one’s death. If you want to bring a claim against someone for their actions leading to a loved one’s death, contact an experienced wrongful death attorney.
Wrongful Death Actions in Connecticut
Under Connecticut law, a survivor may recover the following damages from a person found to be legally at fault for an accident which resulted in the death of a loved one:
- Lost earnings
- Funeral expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life’s activities in the manner you would have if your loved one was still alive
Other damages are recoverable beyond these, depending on the specific case. The loss of a loved one leads to much more than monetary compensation can cover, but this is a start to helping you move forward with life.
You may additionally be entitled to a double or trebled amount of damages if it is proven that the negligent party deliberately operated a motor vehicle in a way that was the main factor in causing your loved one’s death.
While many wrongful death cases are focused on motor vehicle accidents, others can be brought in the following ways:
- Against a company due to negligent safety procedures put into place at work
- Against a doctor or hospital for their negligence in surgery or diagnosis
- Against a business owner for their negligence in cleaning up a mess that led to an accident
- Against a product manufacturer for their negligence in designing a product which did not conform to safety standards and placing the product in the stream of commerce
Accidents unfortunately happen on a daily basis throughout the state and there is often little we can do to prevent the actions of others. However, there are actions we can take to ensure that this does not happen to someone else in the future and which ensure that the responsible party will be held accountable for their actions. Contact Van Dyke Law, LLC’s Connecticut and Massachusetts wrongful death lawyer’s West Hartford, Glastonbury, or Enfield office today for a free initial consultation.